Saturday, January 06, 2007

508

508

(Hewitt-Morgan-Sookman)

All right, hands up (or if you're German, Hans up), who remembers "Cubic" by 808 State? This was in the early 90's, and it was one of the first tracks I remember breaking thru from the underground dance scene to the mainstream underground before the mainstream underground became the mainstream. Geddit? OK, whatever; what I'm trying to say is that that track in particular and techno/underground in general were the inspiration for this Pop Machine foray into sampley goodness. Really, just an excuse for us to push buttons and smart off, as usual.

(Note that the title of this song added to my standard 365 naming convention results in a filename that looks like an IP address. It's not, but feel free to try using it as one and let me know what happens.)

Al: Keys
Scott: Keys, Samples
Sook: Drums, Fuzz Bass

4 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

There was also an all electronica station here in L.A. at that time, MARS-FM, which ran for about two years. I think that added to the general feeling that electronica was going to take over the world, which, of course, it did not.

About 5 or 6 format changes later, that station is currently Indie 103.1, playing "alternative" rock, but who knows how long that's going to stick around.

6:01 AM  
Blogger Allan said...

Geez, who is "alternative" these days? Nickleback? It's enough to make a guy go out and buy a Christina Aguilera CD...

11:31 AM  
Blogger Allan said...

I think electronic drums DID take over percussion for a while there back in the 80's. Or was it Phil Collins? Same difference, I know....

As for the "old school" feeling on the track, well, it was recorded back in '91. However, I have no excuse regarding my current sound as I'm still using some of the same equipment...

3:39 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

Back then, that equipment was just old. Now, it's so old that it's "vintage."

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home